This article aims to help you get the most out of your trial period, enabling you to get the real Countly experience. Each of these steps is sequential, and they build upon each other. You should go down the list, step by step, reading the articles, and watching the videos in order to explore and understand the immense capabilities of Countly. If, at any point, you feel like you need help, feel free to get in touch with your onboarding engineer.
Login to dashboard
- You will receive an email from the Countly Team, which will provide you with the login information for your Countly instance.
Add internal users
- Log into your instance, and start by adding users who will be interacting with the data collected by Countly.
- Choose the SDK to match your platform: IOS, Android, etc. SDKs can be found here.
- Download the correct SDK and follow the instructions to properly implement it.
Decide on User Tracking Strategy
- There are multiple ways Countly can track users. It is important to decide which method to use, and stick with it. Please review this information to help you decide which user tracking strategy is best for your instance.
- Once you have decided, you can set up your SDK to go with your user tracking strategy. Here is the section that discusses this in detail.
Decide on Custom User Properties
- It is important to set up Custom User Properties because they help with things such as personalizing push notifications. Please read this article for more information.
Create some Custom Events
- Custom Events are important because they allow you to understand what is happening inside your application and track the interactions and transactions that matter the most to your business. Example: Customers who “Completed Purchase”
- Note: It is best to keep the events to less than 500 in order to not have performance issues.
- If something is not right, don’t be alarmed - we are just an email away to help you get it working correctly!
- Let’s start by understanding what a custom event is. Please watch this video which explains it in more detail.
- For Custom Event general information and FAQ, please click here.
- Decide on an Event name.
- Check the Event to see that it is being captured by Countly correctly.
Create Event Segments
- Segments allow you to put categories and labels to events, to help keep track of them better and to make your reports more detailed and agile. Please review this information. In our above example, they would answer the question:
- What item is purchased more?
- Which application version leads to more sales?
- For a look at how the code will work, and how the segments can be used, please review this section.
Create at least 1 Cohort
- Cohorts can be easily understood as a group of users that share certain events together for a certain period of time (for example: users who make a payment for the first time in the last 30 days).
- Please watch this short video for more information about cohorts.
- For more information please click here.
Create at least 1 Custom Dashboard
- You can create a Custom Dashboard to show you the information and data you want to see easily and quickly. Please watch this video for more information.
- You can also read this article for more details.
- Do you have sales funnels or want to see how far along the sales process a user gets? Countly’s Funnels feature was created just for you!